A Candle-lit Mother's Day

Like a candle that burns free and illuminates and glorifies all that comes in its way, there are certain people whose existence is not just a matter concerning their personal well being, it also affects the survival and well being of many others.

In this piece, I am talking about all those unsung heroes who burn out and exhaust themselves in order to make another being smile, who shed tears to quench another's thirst, who bleed to make another live...I speak of mothers, lovers, soldiers or any person you can possibly think of who lives for others.

There is this guy I know who was born a premature child with many complications, the doctors even indicated the unbearable to the parents and yet his mother didnt give up. They say that labour is the hardest thing a woman ever endures...well the struggles of this mother didn't end with child bearing; she physically exerted herself and took intensive care of her child from the day it was born, so much so that even the doctors had to commend at her nursing later for it saved her baby's life!

There is a person I adore who supports me when I'm low and tries to understand me when even I give up on myself....you might think its my mom, or dad...well of course my parents are those rare gems whose care, affection or support is indescribable and priceless, however, here I am referring to the next most important person to me....my lover. Sometimes God sends you the strength you need via the presence of people like him who can be counted on at all times. I get bestowed with a mother's affection, a father's protection, a sibling's concern, a friend's adoration and a partner's love....all by the same person!

And then there are those brave men at the borders, sacrificing on their sleep and comfort, living far away from their loved ones just for the sake of the rest of the countrymen who merely speak of their patriotism. The jawaans live a life of risks and unpredictability where nothing is certain of their returning home and every goodbye can only be hoped not to be the last one.

As I write this piece, I experience a black out at my residence and the light of the candle is all I have to guide me out of the darkness that's scary and suggestive of countless bleak possibilities. I have Passenger's 'Let her go' on my playlist and it exactly describes what I intend to say.

"Well you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go
Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go
And you let her go"

Why wait to confess/share what you feel till its too late? Why not savour the moment while it still lasts!? This day being mother's day, let's be grateful to have all those wonderful people in out lives who may not be our biological kinsmen but have influenced our lives for the better! A mother is not just the one who gives you life....a mother is anyone who has that selfless attribute of a candle. My last candle is about to exhaust here, but I do hope the candles in our lives persist forever.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

To all the guys I've loved before...

     There's something about seeing the people you once loved get hitched that hits a weirdly hidden melancholic chord in your heart. To...