Mom, I promise

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.


Whenever dad left for some place far to accomplish some task, I had tears in my eyes and she always asked me 'Will you cry the same way if I go to some place far?'. When people asked whom do you love the most- dad or mom? My answer was never her name. Ironically, she has always been the one who stood up for me and rubbed my tears. At times, even dad failed to understand my point but not once did she overlook my likes and preferences. That's what my mother is - epitome of selfless love. Someone who expects nothing in return for all that she does.
But have I reciprocated? Did I help her clean up the kitchen when she was exhausted after a tiring day that was spent mostly cleaning the mess I created? And as disgraceful and ungrateful as it is, the answer is 'I always had more important things to do'. As I recall the many conflicts we had over the years where I thought and felt that mom nagged and was keen on finding my faults, I realize that it was never her who was mean but me being immature and heartless with my words. The realization overwhelms me and I am utterly clueless as to what can compensate for my rude behavior to the one person I owe my life to. Perhaps there is nothing that can mend things that are messed but there are certainly things that can prevent any further pain that my harsh words which are spoken impulsively can cause. 
Yes. A promise is what I need. A vow to be kind to my mother. A vow to keep a check on what comes out of my mouth. A vow to not hurt the person who has already borne a lot of pain to get me where I stand today. If I can be sweet and soft spoken to the whole universe then why not to my mother? Out of all the people, she is probably the only one who would be there  by my side when the whole world turns against me!
Mom, I promise to be a good daughter to you henceforth. I promise to not be a reason  for your distress. I promise to make you proud. And here's my answer to your question: If you ever go to some place far, I wouldn't cry, for that will mean that I'll be alright after a few minutes or hours or days; I would be devastated and would probably never laugh or smile again. 
Happy Mother's Day Maa!!! I know I've never told this to you but Maa, I Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To all the guys I've loved before...

     There's something about seeing the people you once loved get hitched that hits a weirdly hidden melancholic chord in your heart. To...